ER - LPN (prn)
BRADLEY COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER
Position Title: LPN
Department: EMERGENCY ROOM
Supervisor: Emergency Department (ED)/Monitored Care Unit (MCU)
Position Summary: Provides direct and indirect patient care in the Emergency Department (ED)/Monitored Care Unit (MCU). The LPN will provide care that meets the psychosocial, physical and general aspects of patient care. She/he will meet the communication needs of the patient and family; provides care that reflects initiative and responsibility indicative of professional expectations, under the supervision of a registered nurse (RN). Determines priorities of care based on physical and psychosocial needs, as well as factors influencing patient flow through the system. She/he will communicate with ED physicians and/or Primary Care Physicians (PCP's) about changes in patient's status, symptomatology and results of diagnostic studies. The LPN will be able to respond quickly and accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment of the patients. The nurse will participate in continuing education and professional development activities as required by the department and to maintain current nursing license.
See the Arkansas State Board of Nursing for the LPN scope of practice.
Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas:
1. Receive report before giving care. Narcotic count every shift by LPN or RN along with LPN or RN from previous shift.
2. Provides direct patient care under supervision of a RN, evaluates outcomes, consults with other healthcare team members as required and adjusts nursing care processes as indicated to ensure optimal patient care. Has the ability to triage new patients in the ED under direction of a RN and perform reassessments as per policy. This includes neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients and the general population.
3. Triage new patients in the ED and assist in performing initial assessment. Assist with admissions and in performing initial assessments on MCU patients.
4. Check medical record for physician orders and results of diagnostic studies.
5. Maintains current knowledge of medications and their correct administration based on age of the patient and his/her clinical condition. Reviews patient orders, lab results, vital signs, and condition of patient prior to administration of medication. Follows the five (5) medication rights and reduces the potential for medication errors. Is able to adequately assess and reassess pain. Utilizes appropriate pain management techniques. LPN will educate the patient and family regarding pain management.
6. Perform nursing skills according to skills check list and return demonstration(s). Demonstrates knowledge of cardiac monitoring, identifies dysrhythmias. Will learn the NIHSS Stroke Scale and be able to demonstrate it adequately along with operating the telemedicine.
7. Demonstrates knowledge of lab requirements, requisitions, ordering through CPSI.
8. Obtains teaching on all patients in the ED and formulates a teaching plan based on identified learning needs and evaluates effectiveness of learning with MCU patients. LPN will include the family in teaching as appropriate.
9. Demonstrates knowledge of admission process to the hospital when necessary.
10. Maintains accurate and continued nursing documentation including patient histories, conditions, treatments, responses and assessment of changes.
11. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
12. Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual needs of patients and family.
13. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patients served. Is able to interpret data about the patient's status in order to identify each patient's age specific needs and provide care needed by the patient group.
14. Deliver basic patient care according to standards of nursing care established by the Bradley County Medical Center nursing department.
15. Interacts professionally with patient and family and involves patient and family in the formation of the plan of care.
16. Maintains established hospital and department policies and procedures, objectives, performance improvement program, safety, environmental and infection control standards. Check patient identity by asking the patient and by arm band before initiating nursing activities.
17. Ensures an adequate stock of supplies in ED and MCU and orders as needed. Pulls out of date stock and replenishes in each department. Ensures proper functioning of equipment and documents this on shift check-lists.
18. Assists in cost containment through appropriate ordering and conserving of supplies and equipment.
19. Maintains good working relationship with ED/MCU staff, ancillary departments, and physicians.
20. Demonstrates the ability to assist physicians with procedures and perform services requiring technical and manual skills under the direction of a RN.
21. Medical and surgical asepsis is carried out during treatments and special procedures.
22. Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
23. Response to the patient is appropriate in emergency or physically distressful situations.
24. Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly.
25. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-services and workshops; shows responsibility for ongoing education.
26. Performs other related duties as assigned within the LPN scope of practice.
27. LPN is able to follow written and verbal directions/orders correctly.
28. Question situations in which underlying principals on standards of care
29. Seek guidance from RN in making judgments in questionable or uncertain
situations and functions within the LPN role as defined by the Arkansas
Nurse Practice Act.
30. Respond to codes within the hospital as indicated according to procedure.
31. Instruct patients and visitors regarding hospital rules and regulations
and reinforces as needed.
32. Reports all pertinent information appropriately: Changes in condition, effects of treatments or meds, patient/family concerns, physician concerns, and equipment malfunctions/safety hazards.
33. Skills Check List: Demonstrate proficiency in the following areas:
a. Basic Nursing Skills
c. Medication/IV Nurse
d. LPN emergency room
e. LPN OR
f. LPN Nursery
g. LPN OB/L&D
34. Listen and initiate feed-back to ensure effective communication. Use constructive feed-back to improve performance. Resolve problems with interpersonal relationships, referring them by appropriate chain of command when necessary.
35. Practice discretion in information shared with patients and peers. Maintain information released according to HIPPA Guidelines. If unsure talk with HIPPA Compliance Officer.
36. Apply basic communication skills (verbal and non-verbal) in all interactions with patients, peers, other departments and the public.
37. Avoid excessive noise and protect patient privacy.
38. Address people by name. Identify yourself on the telephone by name, title, and department. Use appropriate phone etiquette.
39. Express frustrations in appropriate time, manner, and location.
40. Support other staff in the performance of their duties. Respond promptly to request from supervisor, peers and other employees. Communicate criticism in constructive, private manner. Accept constructive criticism in appropriate manner. Praise peers on quality job performance.
41. Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
42. Completes annual/bi-annual education requirements.
43. Maintain regulatory requirements.
44. Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
45. Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time.
46. Wears identification while on duty, uses computerized punch time system correctly.
47. Completes in-services and returns in a timely fashion.
48. Attends annual review and department in-services, as scheduled.
49. Attends at least 10 staff meetings annually, reads and returns all monthly staff meeting minutes.
50. Will represent Bradley County Medical Center in a positive and professional manner in the community.
51. Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
• Graduate of an accredited LPN program.
• Current LPN licensure in the State of Arkansas and maintains this license by renewing every two (2) years.
• Current BLS certification and will continue to renew bi-annually.
• Successful completion of arrhythmia course.
• Successful Completion of IV Therapy course.
• Minimum of one (1) year work experience as a LPN in an acute care setting.
• Current ACLS certification and/or be in process of renewing this certification within 90 days of hire date. The nurse will continue to renew bi-annually.
• NIHSS Stroke Scale certification obtained within 30 days of hire. Will renew annually.
• Must be able to lift and restrain patients when necessary.
• Must have full use of arms, legs, fingers and hands and be comfortable standing, walking, bending and kneeling while on an 8-hour or 12-hour shift.
• Must be strong enough to push and pull heavy equipment as needed.
• Must be able to assist patients with walking or using the bathroom and helping patients in and out of bed, chair, wheelchair, or stretcher.
Position Type : Pool/PRN/Per Diem
Cliff Moore - ER Manager