Senior Care Unit - LPN (PRN)
BRADLEY COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER
Position Title: LPN
Department: SENIOR CARE UNIT
Supervisor: CNO-RN/SCU NURSING SUPERVISOR
Position Summary: The LPN should have knowledge and skills necessary to
function within his/her role using the nursing process. Functions under the RN
to participate in assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of patient
care. Should demonstrate effective verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
Should participate in continuing education and professional development activities.
JOB SPECIFIC CRITERIA:
1. Receive report before giving care.
2. Makes rounds on patients and assesses appropriately for the following as
applicable: Cardiovascular status, Respiratory status, Appropriate status,
I & O, Special equipment-IV's NG, foley, etc., Special Needs.
3. Admit new patients and assist in performing initial assessment.
4. Check medical record for physician orders and results of diagnostic studies.
5. Prepare appropriately for medication administration: Research medication;
Aware of patient vital signs, telemetry pattern; Aware of lab results, i.e.
K+levels, BUN, CR, theophlline levels, digoxin levels, blood sugar as
related to ordered medications; Assess patient's need for pain medication on
rounds and alert care giver; Assess IV sites and need changes, note rate and
6. Perform nursing skills according to skills check list and return
PLANNING AND ORGANIZATION:
7. Preplan nursing care to perform in an organized manner.
8. Obtain materials and supplies needed for patient care.
9. Use resource material as necessary to include nursing policy and procedure
books and manuals from other departments.
10. Utilize time effectively and productively.
11. Assist in updating individualized nursing care plans as per initiation by RN.
12. Involve patient/family in the planning of his/her care.
13. Organize work according to priorities.
14. Maintain patient kardex as indicated.
15. Plan appropriately for administration of medications: (1) First initial and
last name on MAR; (2) Organize in order to give meds on time; (3) Alert
pharmacy to immediate needs in the nursing unit; (4) Check the five rights
before giving meds.
IMPLEMENTATION OF CARE:
16. Deliver basic patient care according to standards of nursing care established
by Bradley County Medical Center.
17. Check patient identity before initiating nursing activities.
18. Perform technical skills according to policy and procedure including the
following: (1) TPR, B/P; (2) Specimen collection; (3) Catheterization;
(4) Tube feedings; (5) Irrigation (bowel, bladder, NG, colostomy);
(5) Sterile dressings; (6) Oxygen administration; (7) Preparation of patient
for diagnostic studies; (8) Orphyaryngeal, sterile suctioning; (9) Restraints.
19. Administer medications according to policy/procedure including the
following: (1) Has knowledge from attending shift report, i.e., knows
diagnosis, special needs, etc., (2) Administer meds by all routes according to
approved procedure; (3) Teach patients appropriately regarding meds; (4)
Keep med carts locked when not in use; (5) Keeps carts and drug room
clean and organized; (6) Check unusual dosages on meds (insulin, heparin,
etc.,) with another nurse before administering; (7) Sign out for narcotic
correctly; (8) Dispose of drug/narcotics as required and in accordance with
20. Interprets written and verbal directions correctly.
21. Question situations in which underlying principals on standards of care
22. Seek guidance from RN in making judgments in questionable or uncertain
situations and functions within the LPN role as defined by the Arkansas
Nurse Practice Act.
23. Use appropriate safety measures including: (1) Use aseptic technique
appropriately; (2) Act to prevent accidents and injury; (3) Use correct
body mechanics; (4) Keep all necessary items within reach of patient;
(5) Use siderails as indicated according to policy and procedure; (6)
Do concurrent cleaning in patient areas and staff areas.
24. Adhere to isolation technique.
25. Respond to codes within the hospital as indicated according to procedure.
EVALUATION AND NURSING COMMUNICATION:
26. Evaluate results of specific nursing intervention and documents in the
27. Evaluate own learning needs and seek opportunities for new learning
28. Explain nursing procedures to patient prior to the procedure.
29. Instruct patients and visitors regarding hospital rules and regulations
and reinforces as needed.
30. Reports all pertinent information appropriately:
a. Changes in condition.
b. Effects of treatments or meds.
c. Patient/family concerns.
d. Physician concerns.
e. Equipment malfunctions/safety hazards.
32. Maintains accurate and concise records of observations, treatment and
care of patients:
b. Flow Sheet
c. Nurses Notes
d. Nursing Care Plan
g. Discharge Summary
h. Transfer sheets
i. Medication Records
33. Properly chart medications to include:
a. First initial, last name and title to correspond with initials.
b. Note proper dose, date, time
c. Indicate injection sites appropriately.
d. Correct errors appropriately.
e. Document effect of p.r.n.
34. Utilize and document nursing care according to nursing process:
35. Skills Check List: Demonstrate proficiency in the following areas:
a. Basic Nursing Skills
c. Medication/IV Nurse
d. LPN emergency room
e. LPN OR
f. LPN Nursery
g. LPN OB/L&D
36. Listen and initiate feed-back to ensure effective communication.
37. Use constructive feed-back to improve performance.
38. Resolve problems with interpersonal relationships, referring them when
39. Participate in the development of solutions to communication problems.
40. Communicate complete and accurate information.
41. Practice discretion in information shared with patients and peers.
42. Apply basic communication skills (verbal and non-verbal) in all
interactions with patients, peers, other departments and the public.
43. Avoid excessive noise and protect patient privacy.
44. Acknowledge validity of communication from others.
45. Address people by name.
46. Identify yourself on the telephone by name, title, department.
47. Express frustrations in appropriate time and manner.
48. Support other staff in the performance of their duties:
a. Respond promptly to request from supervisor, peers and other
b. Communicate criticism in constructive, private manner.
c. Accept constructive criticism in appropriate manner.
d. Praise peers on quality job performance.
Graduate of an accredited Vocational-Technical School and current
State licensure which is renewed every two years.
Must possess current CPR certification which is renewed annually.
Position Type : Pool/PRN/Per Diem
Shift : Other
Senior Care Unit